I believe meditation is one of the best ways to connect to your Higher Self, as is anything that enhances greater love in your life – love for self, others and the world. Below is an example meditation you might like to explore to connect with your Higher Self. If visualization is not your thing, I’ll be sharing a writing technique in a future post, and intuition practices can also help you build pathways to your Higher Self and spiritual insights and guidance beyond the everyday perspectives of conditioned thinking.
1. Relax, close your eyes, and enter a meditative state in whatever way works for you. Calm your mind and get into a still, quiet, and deeply relaxed space, perhaps by taking a hot soothing bath, listening to relaxing music, counting backwards, slowing your breathing, imagining pleasant imagery, or by clearing your mind of all thought or feeling. You might also want to listen to the relaxation intro of a guided meditation recording if you have one.
2. When deeply relaxed, imagine a place in nature in your mind’s eye. This could be somewhere you’ve been to before, or somewhere entirely new, made-up in your imagination, whether it’s an ocean beach, forest grove, bank of a riverside, garden or meadow, or mountain top. If visualization isn’t your thing, just get in touch with a sense of it, a feeling or idea of it, as it’s your intention that matters most. Make this place as vivid as possible by engaging all of your senses. Try to see any sights you can in detail, smell the air, feel the breeze against your face, and the ground beneath you, reach out and touch something and make it real, or just FEEL the presence of this place in your heart.
3. Now allow your Higher Self to come to you. For this, have them appear as a human being, likely your gender, seeing them walking towards you, some way away at first perhaps. They can adopt a human form to better interact with you. Don’t worry if you feel like you’re just imagining it or making it up; your imagination is a platform to help co-create the experience, and the energy of your Higher Self can still come and be with you.
4. See your Higher Self walk towards you. See the love in their eyes, and experience them reach out their hands to embrace you. Feel that embrace. Allow yourself to be received by them. However vividly or vaguely you experience them, know that they are there and have come to be with you. Just be open to their presence. If you find it easier, simply imagine them as shimmering light of some kind (such as spherical or oval in shape, or whatever feels comfortable).
Allow that light to wrap around and embrace you in its glowing love.
5. Now together, spend some time with your Higher Self. You may have some questions to ask, in which case see if you hear a reply or if an awareness, image or thought dawns on you. As I am more visual than audio inclined, I sometimes imagine my Higher Self with a white-board and see them writing answers, either in pictures or words, for example. Sometimes I get them to write a message with their finger on my back, letter by letter, as I am sensitive to touch. Just be open and explore, there’s no wrong or right way of doing this exercise. If you experience little consciously, that’s OK, just know that they are there for you and love you totally and unconditionally. Make an intention to open to this love if nothing else.
One thing you can do is simply lie down in this place in nature in your mind’s eye and ask your Higher Self to heal you. You may see or sense them placing hands over or upon areas of your body, or light or energy. You may feel emotions or thoughts move through you. You may sense nothing it all, which is also fine. Just be open to receive this healing and allow whatever needs to be done occur at a more subtle energetic level.
This meditation becomes more and more vivid with practice. Like everything in life, new pathways of experience need to be built through flexing like muscles. If visualization isn’t your ‘thing’, I’ll be sharing a writing technique for connecting to your Higher Self in a future issue.
Love and Joy,